Thursday 14 June 2012

Tie Dye


I really could not resist dedicating a post to the amazing art of tie dying.

For a event my college had this semester, we all had to dress in 70's themed costumes. So for the first time in my life I tie dyed a shirt. And let me tell you, it is more than a little bit addictive. Who knew how cool tie dye could actually be? It's quite easy to do too.

1) Get a tshirt, tie dye (from one of those cheap everything-stores), rubber bands and a sink.

2) Tie the shirt either in random places, or a certain way to make a patterns. I actually cannot help with that, I had no idea what to do so I just tied in in random places. I recommend Googling it.

3) Wet the shirt. I did not at first and it did not end well.

4)Dye different sections with different colours. Carefully over sink. And if you, like me, really want to have blue dyed hands for another 3 days (a great conversation starter - "Uhm, like, do you know that your hands are like blue?") I recommend not using gloves. Your choice.

5) Leave it in a plastic bag for a day.

6) Rinse out. Well. Fun fact- if you get rained on whilst wearing a tie dyed shirt that has not been rinsed out well, your skin will become multi-coloured. Also your underwear.

7) Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment