Friday 13 April 2012

Radio Journalism

This week we moved away from text and pictures, to the other medium: Sound. You quite forget about sound as a way of journalism and this lecture really opened my eyes to radio, which I had never really given any thought to.

We were all asked to listen to a podcast from the ABC where they interviewed 2 different broadcasters; Richard Fidler and Steve Austin and they talked about their experience in the radio field.

Rochard Fidler is the broadcaster of Conversations on ABC radio. I have actually heard several of his podcasts on the way back from the city with my dad. He talked about how radio is very different from television, and it sometimes acts more as background or a voice inside your head.

He explained how when he conducts an interview it is important to feed of, or react on what the interviewee is saying. And to have open conversations that leaves room for the person to tell their own story. This is all so similar to what I have learnt about conducting an interview for a story. To leave space for the interviewee to tell their own story, and to feed off what they are saying.

What really impressed me about what he said is that Silence is Powerful. I think it is great how radio and sound gives you the room to use things like silence to convey more meaning than a written piece could. Steve Austin also said that with radio listeners can pick up on lies or "fakeness" so much easier than in a video for example, because there is nothing to distract from what the speaker is saying. Radio has so many different elements at its disposal than other mediums.

I was also surprised when they mentioned that radio is actually becoming more popular. He contributed it to people being time-poor. I think this is very exciting for the radio industry, that it will never die out because people will always leave it on in the background or listen to it in the car. Even I, who never thought of myself as a radio-listener, have realised how often I actually do listen to it.

Since I could not end this post without adding some sort of sound-element, here is a song by the unparalleled Sigur Ros. Here is my justification, the song is pure sound- the singing is not actual words just random sounds. Pretty cool?


No comments:

Post a Comment